Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Rainy Days...

Photobucket

Another drizzly, gray day in Southeast Missouri!  Rainy days don't always get me down anymore ~ in fact, I enjoy them, especially if I get to stay in where it's snug and cozy ~ but they sure did when I was a little girl!  I was such an "outdoor child", making faerie houses (the Fae always had ladybugs or some similar little insect for pets); looking for sparkly rocks, or off on one adventure or another, usually accompanied by Polly, Daddy's favorite English Setter...(I once frightened my poor Mother terribly ~ I was playing inside one of Daddy's grain bins (one of the round metal "Butler buildings") chasing a mouse. I was out-of-pocket long enough for her to start looking for me, and I was nowhere to be found...when I finally did hear her calling (and Polly barking) and crawled out, I couldn't understand why she was so upset...it was so exciting chasing the little mouse, and  ~ I'd almost caught him a couple of times! It wasn't until much later that I really realized
 how dangerous grain bins can be
...thankfully, that one was almost empty ~ ♥
I got off track ~ :) ~ as I had started to say, when I was a little girl, the only good thing about having to stay indoors in inclement weather was that I could draw, and color, to my heart's content.
 The local grocery store (I thought it was so big at the time
...a super-market!...
but it was really just a small store compared to the ones now) would save their out-dated weekly "sale bills" for me; they were unprinted white paper on the back, and BIG...it was always such a thrill to start drawing on a new one...the possibilites were endless!

The photo above is another watercolor
 still-life "hopeful"...the box that the crayons are in
was my Mom's little circus-themed lunch-box from the early 1930s,
 and the vintage "Blendwell"crayons were a gift from Mr. B. ~ I thought it was a nice blend
 of "old and new" ~ ♥

Another week is flying by!  Have a wonderful Thursday!

♥ ♥ ♥
Anne

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I just signed up to follow you on google and linky.

    Glad you didn't hurt your little bitty self in that grain bin!!

    If you have time come back over and sign up to follow me with linky.
    Thanks
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete

I love your thoughts and comments, and I read each and every one! Sometimes life gets in the way, though, and it takes me a while to respond...Thank you for understanding! ♥...Time is precious, and the time you have taken here is truly appreciated!